Each year many children suffer from exposure to poisons or ingestion. Here are some suggestions from the AAP how to keep your home safe and secure from poison ingestion.
- Store medicine, cleaning and laundry products, paints/varnishes and pesticides in their original packaging in locked cabinets or containers, out of sight and reach of children
- Safety latches help to keep children away from dangerous products, but there is always a chance the device will malfunction. The safest place to store poisonous products is somewhere a child can’t reach
- Purchase and keep all medicines in containers with safety caps and get rid of the unused portion of medications. Note that safety caps are designed to be child resistant but are not fully child proof
- Never refer to medicine as “candy”
- Check the label each time you give a child medicine to ensure proper dosage
- Liquid nicotine refills for e-cigarettes must be locked up out of children’s . Ingestion or skin exposure with just a small amount of the liquid can be fatal to a child. Never place poisonous products in food or drink containers.
- Keep coal, wood or kerosene stoves in safe working order.
- Maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Secure remote controls, key fobs, greeting cards, and musical children’s books. These and other devices may contain small button cell batteries that can cause injury if ingested and are an emergency.
Always have the number for poison control handy and in a visible place for your entire household